We recognise that the buildings we acquire and manage do have an impact, both upon the wider environment and upon the local neighbourhoods and communities in which they are located.
In selecting those properties to buy or to retain that we believe will outperform for our clients we have due regard to these impacts and these influence our approach in a number of areas, specifically.
- Property Acquisition
- Property Management & Operations
- Office Development. For all new office buildings that we develop or fund, we seek a BREEAM rating of "Very Good" or "Excellent".
- Retail. We prefer to invest in shopping centres & retail parks which allow us to deliver an attractive shopping environment and where on-site staff can engage with their local communities both through sponsoring local events and by participating in local improvement initiatives.
- Industrial & Warehouse. We avoid properties with occupiers that pollute and focus exclusively on those with clean operations.
- Brownfield Land. We do not acquire sites or properties on land that has been polluted unless these have first been fully remediated.
Property Management & Operations
- Carbon Reduction Commitment. We are actively engaged in the carbon reduction commitment process and will continue to work with our environmental advisers, property managers and tenants to mitigate the carbon footprint and cost of the properties we manage.
- Green Energy. 100% of the energy procured for our property portfolio is from Climate Change Levy exempt sources and of this 17% is from renewable sources. (source Jones Lang LaSalle April 2010)
- Recycling. Our policy is to include recycling facilities at all properties where we provide waste services.
- Improvements. We look to improve the energy efficiency of the buildings we manage through a planned programme of plant upgrades and replacement.
- Compliance. It is core to our approach that all our property investments are fully compliant with all relevant regulations, particularly in relation to Health & Safety.